[802.3ae_Serial] RE: CRPAT / CJPAT Pattern Question

This thread never really completed, so here is the suggested remedy I am
submitting with my letter ballot:

		Time-stagger the payload portion of the patterns in the
lanes. I propose the staggering for CJPAT be such that lanes 0 & 2
remain as they are, but lanes 1 & 3 rotate 140 bytes each. This will
retain the special properties of this pattern within each lane.

		I suggest CRPAT be rotated 3 bytes (~90 degrees per
repetition) per lane, although I have another comment that suggests
CRPAT has other potentially serious issues, and this change may cause
worse problems.

I THINK this addresses the thread, but I expect others will correct me
as appropriate. The suggested remedy does NOT invert the data (this is
not possible with 8B10B), but does attempt to provide a compromised
"mixing" of edges and frequencies.

*****

The "other" comment about CRPAT is
CRPAT may not meet its objectives of randomness unless disparity is
controlled (on each lane) as is done in Fibre Channel. However, this may
not be important, since this pattern is not referenced by other sections
of the standard.

The suggested remedy is
Option A: Delete section 48A.4.
Option B: Build up the pattern like CJPAT is where both disparities of
the pattern will exist, assuring that one is always correct. This would
take a few hours of effort.
Option C: Convince me that disparity is controlled such that the payload
portion starts positive.
Option D: Add a statement "The intended spectral density of this pattern
may not be achieved unless the ending running disparity of
START/PREAMBLE/SFD is controlled to be positive.
If option B, C, or D is chosen, then also add a note explaining that
"this pattern is not intended for compliance testing, but it may useful
for unspecified diagnostic purposes."

*****

Tom Lindsay
Stratos