RE: [802.3ae_Serial] Tx setup window with OMA

Mike,

As you say, one cannot actually set up at the minimum allowable extinction
ratio.  As you say, one of the problems with the old specification method
was the narrow, 1 dB setup window in OMA.  Let's say 2 dB is reasonable and
you set up 1 dB of OMA away from the edge, close to your example 5.25 dB
extinction ratio.  Then, the actual extinction ratio will vary with
temperature, ageing etc.  Unfortunately, the mean power or OMA will too.
For any particular part and mechanism of variation and ageing, these things
will be correlated.  (The degree and even the sign of correlation may vary
from design to design and part to part).  So we are more likely to run into
the corner of the box, which is truncated by the blue line, than if these
things were independent random variables.  Therefore it is wise to be
pessimistic and look for a setup window at a lower extinction ratio than set
up (say 4.75 dB) giving about 4.5 dB of useful setup window.  But in doing
this you forgo the opportunity to set up at, or even vary into, a really low
extinction ratio.

You say that a 4.5dB Tx output power window is easier than asking for the
extra dynamic range in the receiver.  The Tx output power window is mostly
about mechanical stability and precision, test equipment accuracy, operating
temperature range for the customer, etc.; generally, things which cost
dollars on an ongoing per-part basis.  While receiver dynamic range is an
issue within an IC; one pays for it as a once-off (whether as design and NRE
or as volume-dependent pricing), the ongoing cost is a tiny increase in
receiver current consumption.

Comparing the PMDs; for the SR/SW case the multimode connectors may have a
smaller variability in loss hence a smaller setup window may be achieved for
the same stability and precision within a transceiver.  And as you say,
other things limit each end meaning that paying for tight tolerance is a
good trade.

For the ER/EW case, doesn't Tx setup window trade off dB for dB with channel
attenuation window (presently 6 dB wide)?

Piers

(P1