RE: [802.3ae_Serial] From serial PMD call: next call tomorrow, Tuesday

Folks -

After LA, we listed as a topic Jonathan's TR comments on specifying
requirements for traffic in the opposing direction during jitter
testing. However, we have not yet discussed it on the serial PMD calls.

Not being in the ballot pool, I had to submit my comments to Jonathan by
11/4. I took a stab at proposed resolutions to the comments, and they
are given below. I listed them as "technical", and I suggested that he
review them to see if they are appropriate for this ballot cycle; I am
certainly willing to withold them if not (in fact, I think the present
documentation is adequate). Because we had agreed this was a serial PMD
topic, I am placing these on the reflector for discussion.

I am trying to avoid defining specific test conditions, so I have
created wording that hopefully addresses the more general performance
requirements.

1. 52.9.7, page 452, line 45.
Comment: In response to a previous comment by Jonathan, the Rx input
signal conditions during transmitter eye mask testing should be
specified more completely.

Proposed resolution: Replace the present paragraph with "Compliance to
the transmitter mask of the eye shall be assured while any allowable
combination of signal conditions is input to the optical receiver of the
system under test. These signal conditions may include the ranges of
data patterns, signalling speed, jitter, optical power, rise/fall times,
etc. at the receiver input that are allowed by this standard."

2. 52.9.9.1, page 454, line 24.
Comment: In response to a previous comment by Jonathan, the Rx input
signal conditions during transmitter jitter testing should be specified
more completely.

Proposed resolution: Replace the present paragraph with "Compliance to
the transmitter jitter requirements shall be assured while any allowable
combination of signal conditions is input to the optical receiver of the
system under test. These signal conditions may include the ranges of
data patterns, signalling speed, jitter, optical power, rise/fall times,
etc. at the receiver input that are allowed by this standard."

3. 52.9.10, page 455, line 38.
Comment: In response to a previous comment by Jonathan, the Tx output
signal conditions during Rx conformance testing should be specified more
completely.

Proposed resolution: Replace the last sentence with "The output data
pattern from the transmitter of the system under test during this test
shall be Pattern 2 as defined in subclause 52.9.1." Also, page 457, line
16 - Modify to "The range of signalling speeds specified in...".

Comments are encouraged.

Thanks, Tom
425/672-8035 x105