RE: [802.3ae_Serial] DJ in fiber

Peter and Russ,
as far as I know, the transversal filter is supposed to simulate the worst
case possible pulse splitting (from a jitter generation perspective)
produced by MMF. Such a worst case is characterized by equal amplitude dual
split pulses. It was noted during the investigation of MMF behavior in
802.3z for GbE (by David Cunningham) that this pulse shape was
mathematically the worst possible case for jitter generation because it has
the ability to cause a plateau in the receiver temporal response at the 50%
amplitude (threshold) level. The solution to mitigate this observed
phenomena (by DEC and Siemens) was to filter it out by specifying an upper
passband limit on the receiver. Such a limit exists for 10GBASE-S today.
Thus, this type of jitter is not directly contributed by the fiber (like
DDJ), but by the inducement of jitter in the receiver by pulse splitting. If
the receiver is immune, then this jitter issue is resolved.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar