From: Lindsay, Tom [mailto:tlindsay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 12:15 PM
To: David Kabal; Serial PMD Ad Hoc Reflector (E-mail) (E-mail)
Cc: Russ Patterson; Peter Öhlén
Subject: RE: [802.3ae_Serial] FW: DJ in fiber

I'll throw something out here.

I was not involved in the DMD work for 802.3z and missed much of the
discussions. My understanding, however, is that the transversal filter
intends to emulate a power split and delay (DMD) between two dominant
propagation groups in the fiber.

It does not directly cause jitter, but it can certainly cause problems
in a receiver with too much bandwidth because the signal "pauses" around
the receiver threshold. I believe this is why the max Rx bandwidth spec
was put in place.

Now, given that our measurement systems should all have Bessel filters
at 7.5 GHz, and given other edge rate limitations, the transversal
filter does not have too much impact at threshold, but it still does
cause general distortion and some vertical eye closure, and so provides
some representative stress.

Should we do something in addition or instead to add jitter? Good
question. It seems that jitter would depend on the asymmetry of the
impulse response due again to differing propagation delays through the
fiber. The impulse response would be the summation of all the powers and
(relative) delays of the mode groups. The delays are determined
primarily by the fiber grading; how the powers are divided is a function
of launch conditions. In general, if the impulse response is
symmetrical, the jitter will be minimal unless ISI becomes fairly
severe. If asymmtrical, then jitter will be worse. I have no idea how to
predict that in the general case. Anyone else?

Tom