RE: XAUI skew

Tom,
Thanks for the reference to the FC document. This also seems to be where
the numbers for XAUI skew limits came from. To use the same measurement
method for XAUI, AC-coupled 50 ohm loads would be used. Swapping the
cables at the measuring point for calibration is of course a good
practice.

Dawson,
If EMI control is the purpose of the skew spec, only one out of several
factors impacting common mode noise is accounted for. Just as you say,
an AC common mode voltage limit would cover more of them. However, I
think it must be up to the implementer to make the trade-off between
circuit performance and system shielding properties. EMI/EMC are
important properties of any implementation but assumed to be
insignificant from an inter-operability point of view in the XAUI
specification. I think skew numbers belong to a category of properties
that the standard otherwise leaves to the implementers choices for good
designs.

To take skew measurements with the FC method that are repeatable with an
accuracy of 10% of the limit value of 15ps, you need be able to swap
connections at the test point with a physical positioning accuracy of
200um.

If Fibre Channel specifies skew for reasons other than EMI, it could be
a good idea to find out what calculations/trade-offs led to the limits
of 15ps and 75ps. The far end signal from a typical differential pair
with good coupling generally has less skew than the input signal. Poor
trace design with branch length differences can increase the skew, but
that, I assume is also the implementer's domain.

My discomfort with the skew spec as it stands is mainly because there is
no definition, method, purpose, or reasoning behind the numbers.

Ali,
Per resolution of your comment #1067 to draft 2.0, differential skew at
the receiver was changed to include ISI. The connection between skew and
ISI is not obvious to me. I can't find any reference to ISI in the Fibre
Channel spec on which the XAUI skew numbers seem to be based.  What kind
of test set-up do you have in mind for generating a skewed waveform
differential signal that includes the effects of ISI to test a XAUI
receiver?

Best regards  Tord.