From: George Zimmerman
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2023 8:58 AM
To: STDS-802-3-ISAAC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_ISAAC] AW: [802.3_ISAAC] Main conclusions from Monday's discussion of jonsson_3ISAAC_01_082823

All – it is nice when we agree on such things – however, please don’t forget – we will need to put together a set of project documentation and we need to get presentations supporting additional rate – as they are likely to impact PAR scope.  I want to say up front, I am not opposed to adding 1 gig – but I am concerned that this will make it harder to get a timely project started and done.

We would need presentations I think to examine the broad market potential (need) and the technical feasibility (opportunity for savings) afforded with 1G – since we have been focused more on multigig phys as the reference point against which optimization is measured. We have talked extensively about optimizing the clause 149 (802.3ch) multigig phys for cameras.  We haven’t talked about any necessary optimizations for clause 97 (1000BASE-T1), which should be substantially simpler (and therefore the need is less clear there) – so presentations would be desirable to reference in our CSDs and bring along the group... I think the CFI and the 802.3ch study group materials well documented the use of multigig for cameras.  I suspect a little expansion of the discussion of 1gig – particularly whether it has a future sufficient to justify work.

Also, I’ve heard a few times people ask for a project that runs quickly.  Please consider that additional features take additional time.  1gig ethernet has a different RS structure than multigig, and hence we open some new work if we are expand to 1 gig…  I’ve heard people say “we don’t want to come back here and do it again” – I’ve rarely (if at all) seen that happen.  However, I have seen projects take a long time because too many separate items were put into them, and only a few actually had long lives in the marketplace.

Something to consider…