[802.3_ISAAC] PAR text suggestion

Hi ISAAC participants,

During the meeting yesterday there was a discussion and straw poll related to the PAR Scope as shown on slide 4 of Suggested PAR and CSD item wording (ieee802.org), specifically the following text:

Physical Layer specifications and management parameters for electrical media and operating conditions for applications in the automotive environment for operation up to 10 Gbps in one direction and up to 100 Mbps in the other direction

Below is the straw poll that was held and the result:

I support changing the PAR speed from 10 Gbps to 25 Gbps (single choice):

Y: 23

N:13

A: 4

In my opinion, the current suggested text in the PAR, which has never been voted on, is not likely to pass as a majority of those who participated in the straw poll would like to see 10 Gbps changed to 25 Gbps.

As there is a desire to complete the PAR at next week's meeting, there is not time to resolve a specific speed.  Also, determining the specific speed(s) to be supported does not need to be done in the study group, this is a topic better discussed and resolved in the Task Force.

There has also been discussion regarding the speed in the slow direction, 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, or something in between.  This may also vary with the speed in the fast direction and does not need to be resolved in the Study Group.

For this reason, I suggest using the following text in the PAR Scope:

Physical Layer specifications and management parameters for electrical media and operating conditions for applications in the automotive environment for Multi Gbps operation in one direction and 1 Gbps or less in the other direction

Thanks,

Natalie Wienckowski
Independent