Re: [802.3_ISAAC] [EXT] Re: [802.3_ISAAC] Comment on presentation today

Hi George,

Thank you for your feedback. I totally agree with you that making proper & necessary assumptions is critical for 802.3 projects’ success. I also agree that this may not be possible to consider all the parameters/assumptions in the Study Group. However, I believe I’ve stated the concern in my previous email to Ragnar for technical feasibility at this stage. Again as a summary statement, German’s and Ahmad’s results show negative dpSNR for the considered 15m coaxial channel even under ideal conditions.

Regarding to your other question for incumbent solutions, I believe there are solutions available up to 13Gbps as it was presented on the ISAAC call today. However, I believe that their performance is significantly decreased in terms of cable reach as the data rates increase. We can discuss that this performance may be implementation dependent -which could be true- and I believe that we –as a group- can do better than that as it is needed by automotive industry. However, I also believe this makes our task –as a group- a lot harder for a timely development of this project by jumping from 10Gbps to 25Gbps as I’ve stated earlier.

As you and I go back a long time, you know that I’d like to be pragmatic and put successful solutions in the market as you do, too. I just want us –as a group- to set reasonably attainable goals for a timely development of this project.  As I’ve stated in my previous email, it was suggested by others (and I also believe) that 25Gbps PHY can be developed as a follow-up project in 802.3. Until then, we can put all our efforts as a group to develop this standard for a timely adoption in the market.

Looking forward to our F2F discussions in 802.3 meetings like old times.

Thanks,

Mehmet