Re: [802.3_ISAAC] Presentation for the July Plenary

Dear George, dear all!

Yes indeed, if the full frame does not fit into the TDD open time for the transmit direction in question, you need to store the remainder somewhere until the gate opens again. The same is true on the receive-side, where you need to reassemble the pieces that arrive in different time slices (here I disagree with Kirsten's slide on this). If you want to decouple the PHY from the upper layers, this buffer needs to be in the PHY (PHY as per the .3 model - not just the physical layer of the iso/osi model, which extends to above the MII). Or you expose the PHY schedule to the upper layers - what I show on slide 11. Btw, slide 11 is meant as a deterrent, not as a proposed solution. I don't think this is a good way to go, it may actually be more effort than putting a buffer in the PHY.

My base assumption in all of this is, that the MII will always only carry Full Frames, that entail (some) preamble, SFD, data, and CRC. I.e. you can not 'interrupt' the transmission of a Frame across the MII (RX or TX) by just inserting idle symbols somewhere between the preamble and the CRC. This is imho why preemption encapsulates the preemptable Frame fragments it creates into what the MII and PHY will see as full Frames, including all elements mentioned above without interruptions.

A full-duplex solution does not have this buffer issue, as the medium is always available. Or, as for EEE, the availability is at least not dictated by the PHY.

My main point is this buffer in the PHY or the avoidance of same in a non TDD system, as I think it will be in the order of 2 max. Frames, i.e. roughly 2x 1.5kByte. The discussions around "latency" or wait times may be a prequel to this, as I think the reason why we make the time slots smaller than a max. Ethernet Frame is vagule related to that timing discussion - and efficiency, and likely other stuff ...

I hope we now have a good basis for an informed discussion in Montreal.

Save travels all!

Best

Max

--