Re: [802.3_ISAAC] Presentation for the July Plenary

Hi George

The 125 Bytes FIFO that I mentioned for an example TDD cycle, supports continuous stream of data, short, long or jumbo packet. Here is a brief explanation how it works.

On the TX side, the FIFO is written continuously. TDD cycles are periodic. During silent periods the FIFO is filled up. During active periods data is read from FIFO at a higher speed. Therefore the FIFO does not overflow. Data continue to be written at 100Mbps even during active periods, no interrupt is required.

On the RX side, FIFO is written to, at high speed during active periods and read at slower rate of 100Mbps continuously. Before the FIFO is emptied completely, a new batch of data is written in the next TDD cycle into the FIFO.

In a way you can think of TDD+FIFO doing the segmentation and reassembly automatically.

Alternatively if 802.3dm decides to use high speed interface, task force may discuss what FIFOs are needed for FDD/TDD/EEE. Added complexity in practice when such a PHY is integrated in a switch, serializer or deserializer may also be discussed and quantified.

I suppose there will be multiple presentations on the topic of MAC/PHY interface and implications including added FIFO requirements for all possible asymmetric links.

Regards

Ahmad

Sent from Mail for Windows