[802.3_SPEP2P] reminder - 802.3dg starts at 9am MDT today & proposed agenda

See the 802.3 calendar.  I will be coming directly from another meeting, so do not be alarmed if I’m not there (or the Webex isn’t opened) until the last minute.

The proposed agenda for this morning, as discussed yesterday, is to hear (briefly) a late contribution from Jason Potterf on the MII.

We will then proceed to a discussion to determine which way forward to go with defining a new MII:

I’ve spoken with a few of you, and I think I understand that we need answers to the questions below:

If something is done, what do people think are needed as features.

Does 802.3dg take on the task (and if so,  how we make progress, what do we have consensus on)?

Do we suggest proponents to begin another 802.3 project?

Do we suggest proponents to work on it as an industry spec outside of 802.3?

Do we not take it on and not suggest anything (e.g., the industry can live with what exists)?

This discussion will be time limited and will end at or before 10am (the morning break)

Then we will discuss and try to make some decisions which way forward on the PHY baseline.  For this, if you wish to propose straw polls or motions, PLEASE send them to me early – preferably before we finish the MII discussion.

I am concerned we have substantial lack of consensus, so I would appreciate proponents & even those who are unsure to propose questions.  You may either use the reflector or email me privately.

-george

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.