Re: [802.3_SPMD] guide to 10BASE-T1S vs. Clause 168

Apologies, I pushed send by accident.

Additionally, I would state that some of the PMA electrical specifications have been tightened up, proposed to be tightened up (e.g., the transmit PSD), and better defined. The PMA electricals are defined at TC1/TC2 – different from the (not well defined) MDI on clause 147.  We still need to specify a crosstalk performance spec, which isn’t defined for multidrop mode in clause 147.

Other things have been proposed (such as a relaxation of the receive-mode collision requirement to a “should” – see https://www.ieee802.org/3/da/public/0523/beruto_3da_20230515_carrier_sense_1p1.pdf ), these could make clause 168 not necessarily compliant with clause 147, but not materially different, IMHO, and we could adjust clause 147 by maintenance or within our amendment to maintain compliance.

However, while the text of the spec requires a new clause (largely because of the intermingling of point-to-point and multidrop functionality in the clause 147 text), nothing is fundamentally changed in the phy type.  There are substantial changes in the link segment specification, which is indicated by the title of the amendment.  The 10BASE-T1M isn’t a new phy type from what I know exists with clause 147 in any real sense – it only differs in a specification sense, enabling, and better defining the multidrop mode of operation. I think this will become painfully clear when we process the PICS…

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx