[802.3_SPMD] PCS loopback

In reviewing the draft, I was looking at 168.4.4 PCS loopback.  This section references 45.2.3.1.2, which we haven’t added to our draft.  To make matters worse, 45.2.3.1.2 only references full duplex PHYs, and not 10BASE-T1S in any mode.  It isn’t clear how exactly PCS loopback would work with a half-duplex PHY, because when the MAC is in half-duplex mode it isn’t expecting data.  The current construction of 45.2.3.1.2 says that if a PHY isn’t specifically called out, the PCS loopback bit does nothing.

My question is – whether anyone implementing 10BASE-T1S multidrop PHYs can describe the desired behavior of the PHY/MII/RS/Mac system?  Should we delete the functionality, or can someone help craft language for appropriate functionality for 10BASE-T1M and maintenance on 10BASE-T1S multidrop?

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx