Re: [802.3_NGECDC] Definition of "Breakout"?

David –

I don’t consider the second case breakout of an 800GbE PHY.  Using prior standards as an example – one would expect 800GBASE-LRx to be a WDM solution, where “x” wavelengths are optically muxed / demuxed.  What I believe you are proposing is an implementation where “x”  # of the lower speed are packaged together.  So the 800GbE PHY is not being broke out – the port implementation, which is not the focus of the standard, is.

John

From: David Ofelt <ofelt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 11:50 AM
To: jdambrosia@xxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-3-NGECDC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGECDC] Definition of "Breakout"?

I think there are two different concepts that end up being colloquially referred to as breakout.  The first is that case you detaiil below- a set of parallel media lanes that can be grouped in various ways- either as a single unified PHY or as a number of slower PHYs.  The other case is a module that happens to hold a number of PHYs that are completely independent- like a QSFP-DD/OSFP module that has 4 x 100GBASE-LR optics.

I’m Ok with declaring that “breakout” just covers the first case and your list is a good start at scoping the definition, but if we do that, I’d like us to figure out a name for the other case.  I find that when I talk to people about modules- it is important to clearly address both cases, since many folks have only one of the cases in mind and conversations can get confusing.

I am also Ok with defining “breakout” to cover both cases, but then we can make that explicit in the definition.

--

DaveO