Re: [802.3_NGECDC] Definition of "Breakout"?

Hello John,

In the past we had discussed number of time the breakout and at one point I was even proponent of defining breakout applications.
The key item is to make sure 50G-SR is compatible with 400G-SR8, 100G-DR compatible with 400G-DR4, 100G-CR compatible with 400G-CR4,
overall we have done pretty good job already.

Actually both FR/LR do have breakout use cases, such as 2x200G-FR4 or 2x200G-LR4 in OSFP/QSFP-DD today and in near future these port will become
2x400G-FR4.

The real question is what should we do in the 802.3?  We can put a formal statement in the project objective similar to what we have done for OTN support.
There are numerous breakout implementation and connector types, today this material is captured in the QSFP-DD HW MSA.  Given that MSA’s are more flexible to
add new breakout configuration as they emerge and some breakout use cases may not even have broad market usage that 802.3 require then I would leave
the HW instantiation of breakout to the MSA’s.

Thanks,
Ali Ghiasi