Re: [802.3_NGECDC] Definition of "Breakout"?

Fixing my typo below 😊

From: Gary Nicholl (gnicholl)
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 5:55 PM
To: Trowbridge, Steve (Nokia - US) <steve.trowbridge@xxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-3-NGECDC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_NGECDC] Definition of "Breakout"?

Let me add to my comment below to pick up on the point that I think Jeff may be making.

If I implement a single 100GBASE-DR in a QSFP28 module, it is likely to be using a duplex LC connector as the MDI.

If I implement four instances of 100GBASE-DR in a QSFP-DD module , it is likely to be using two lanes of an MPO-12 connector as the MDI.

So the two cases are using different optical connectors.

Now in the IEEE specification  we don’t dictate  a specific optical connector (as that is an implementation choice). However if you look at the 802.3cd spec below (section 140.10.3)  , we do define the performance specifications that any optical connector has to meet.

So irrespective of whether  I am implementing a single 100GBASE-DR in a QSFP28 or four 100GBASE-DRs in a QSFP-DD , then in both cases whatever optical connector I decide to use has to meet the same performance specifications that are defined in 140.10.3.

Gary …