Re: [BP] Informative Channel

Hello, all,

As silicon designer point of view, RX input level is very sensitive
issue. If it is too low, we have to install pre-amp, DC offset
chancellor, etc. and they consume more power and silicon area.

Let's try simplified consideration;
..01010101.. signal somewhere PRBS consists of 5GHz sine wave
(and small 3rd harmonics...). Pre-emphasis should be set most strong
level, the other word it should be full swing 1Vppd typ at TX side.

In a case of equation 69.2 per draft 0.91, -25.3dB at 5GHz,
..01010101.. signal of 1Vppd TX makes 54mVppd or 27mVpp single-ended.

However
1. TX minimum amplitude is spec'ed 0.8Vppd, so any RX should receive
   the signal from the TX (effective -2dB).
2. Return loss max is 5dB at equation 72-2 per draft 0.91. The
   mismatch makes 1~2dB signal level loss at each of TX-channel and
   channel-RX. Let's assume total -3dB min.
3. Frequency ripple may be allowed -5dB min at 5GHz in the discussion
   on Jun 1.
Assumption of above 3 effects are -10dB min !!
Then the really worst case of eye height at RX input will be 18mVppd
or 9mVpp single-ended by ..01010101.. signal !!
It doesn't include crosstalks, noise and jitter.

Should RX designers really consider such small level ??

Another values;
Figure 72A-2 in draft 0.91 shows -28.86dB "typical" ISI loss at
5.156GHz. When we use the number, RX input will be 28.8mVppd or
14.4mVpp single-ended from 1Vppd TX.
If we add above 3 effects, it will be 9.6mVppd or 4.8mVpp single-
ended.
If we consider maximum ISI loss rather than "typical",
Ooooom...

Anyway these kind of small values of RX input may be smaller than
peaks of noise and crosstalk.

M. Sugawara
NEC Electronics America