[BP] [Fwd: Re: signal to noise enery]

--
|       Charles Moore
|       Avago Technologies
|       Image Solutions Division
|       charles.moore@avagotech.com
|       (970) 288-4561

adam, et al,

I can't argue with points 1-3, those issues need fixing.

Point 4 is really an invitation do discussion and i will take it:

Clearly rich intended that this or something else very similar "is the
way to go"
or he would not have presented the slides. I for one would like to go
this way at
least in the sense that i want to see crosstalk should be measured as a
power (or
energy) integral and a ratio of crosstalk to some measure of signal.

I do not see the crosstalk integral as very contoversial, clean up
rich's, or use one
from healey_c1_0505, or even one from one of my presentations, they all
will give
close to the same result.

The signal part is harder. A few suggestions, starting with the more
difficult but
most accurate and working to easier:

1. Simulate (with suitable Tx equalization) pattern1= 11111000 and pattern2=
11110111, through the channel. Look at difference between the 2
patterns at the Rx end, and find the positive peak of (response1-response2).
This is the difference between the response to a 1 and to a 0 (with maximum
precursor interference) and is what the Rx needs to discriminate, regardless
of how it does the discrimination. Call this difference (scaled by the input
amplitude) the signal gain.

2 Simulate a pulse going through the channel and call the peak of the
output
the signal gain.

3. Integrate sinc(f/10.3125 GHz)/10.3125 GHz * |Sdd21| (which will give an
upper bound on 2.) and call it signal gain.

4. Evaluate -A(f) at some fixed frequency and call it signal gain.

These are all amplitude rather than power numbers so either the signal
gain will have
to be squared or the square root taken of the crosstalk power.

charles