From: Francois Menard [mailto:fmenard@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 5:35 PM
To: Marek Hajduczenia; STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 25G ONU Options to increase Network Capacity

Marek,

… which does not seem to be not within the scope of the project as of today. I’m not suggesting it cannot be done, but this solution does not address project goals: this will always remain 25Gx4, with maximum rate per ONU of 25G.

I fear there is something which I do not understand about the co-existence of 25G ONUs with 50G ONUs and 100G ONUs  on the same PON.

Why would a 25G ONU on  λ1 or  λ2 or  λ3 prevent a 50G ONU on  λ0+λ1 from working, or for a 100G ONU from working on  λ0 + λ1 + λ2 +  λ3  ?

I could understand if 50G ONUs are introduced on on  λ1+λ2 and do not require that 25G ONUs quiet down on  λ0.

However, 100G ONUs will require that  λ0 be quiet down.

So I fail to see your point.

My understanding is that:

A 50G ONU will work in the presence of tunable ONUs on  λ0 or  λ1

A 100G ONU will work in the presence of tunable ONUs on  λ0 or  λ1 or  λ2 or  λ3

F.