Re: [802.3_DWDM] Implications of SIGNAL_DETECT = FAIL

Steve,

That is entirely possible.

That said, if the specification says you must report a FAIL if the power level is below a certain threshold, doesn’t that limit your freedom just a bit?  Doesn’t it require  you to indicate it’s not a valid signal?  If not – if it’s wide open to ignore that – then why do we even include it?

Assuming it does matter, the chain of logic you just constructed would seem to suggest we should be selecting a power level threshold here that is lower than the lowest value we might expect to be successful and rely on those other various checks that occur in a device to weed out something that’s just noise (instead of using the power level to do so).  Which is what I’m advocating for.

Thanks.

Matt