From: John DeAndrea [mailto:John.DeAndrea@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:20 PM
To: STDS-802-3-DWDM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_DWDM] [EXTERNAL]: [802.3_DWDM] Presentation addressing Comment #83 - "Black Link"

Hi John, Steve and Peter,

One comment on the proposed remedy, Page 2. Bullet 1.

-          Term “”unidirectional”  This term is technically valid for black links which include optical amplifiers. Typically, isolators are used within optical amplifiers, which creates the uni-directional behavior.   Our use case for black link also includes implementations without optical amplifiers. In those use cases, the passive mux and demux filters, and cable plant, would support bi-directional optical carriers. Therefore, you might consider dropping the term ‘unidirectional” as one option, or clarification on this aspect in the text.

Regards,

John DeAndrea