Re: [802.3_DWDM] [EXTERNAL]: [802.3_DWDM] Presentation addressing Comment #83 - "Black Link"

Peter,

WRT meeting the application of 80km without optical amplifiers, from a practical POV you’re probably correct, although depending on how you define meeting the application it might be possible.  To show what I mean, I thought it might be useful to go through some numbers.

We’ve generally been using an assumption for loss in fiber (including loss due to splices and other imperfections) of 0.25 dB/km; that means that to reach 80km we would expect to experience 20 dB of attenuation.  If you add in another dB of loss for connectors, etc., you’re at 21 dB of attenuation.

Our minimum requirement for tx output power is -8 dBm, and our minimum requirement for receive sensitivity when OSNR is high (when there’s no optical amplifier present) is -30 dBm, a difference of 22 dB.  Therefore, technically you can just marginally make 80km, albeit with no other sources of loss (not realistic) and no DWDM muxes (possible in some cases:  even though we’re required to support working with DWDM muxes in a DWDM system, it won’t always be the case).

However, we also allow for tx output power levels of 0 dBm.  That would now give us 30 dB to work with, or 9 dB remaining after accounting for distance loss and connectors.  With a reasonable allotment for other impairments and a pair of muxes with a relatively low attenuation (a 16 channel mux should result in 3dB of attenuation each, if memory serves), 80 km is achievable in that case without an optical amplifier.

Now, whether or not that qualifies as meeting our application of 80km without an optical amplifier I am not sure – I will defer to other experts on that – but as I said, I thought it would be worthwhile to go through the numbers.

Thanks.

Matt