Re: [802.3_100G-OPTX] P802.3cu adjourned

Dear 802.3cu Task Force Participants,

As discussed during yesterday's meeting, a path forward to consider is to reduce the 400G LR4 10km reach objective.

There are a number of observations about 400G LR4 that are helpful to list:
	- Long term, there is a need for a longer reach, higher loss budget PMD in addition to 400G FR4
	- Volume is strongly driven by cost
	- CWDM grid has several low cost characteristics including no TEC, commonality with FR4, and simpler WDM filters and set-up
	- WDM grid is not the only determinant of cost
	- Cost is primarily driven by manufacturing margin
	- Based on TF contributions, meeting specs. over range of 10km SMF CD is feasible but not with a lot of margin

What we learned in 802.3ba, when considering changing the 100G LR4 objective was:
	- Above 2km, the reach distribution is continuous and decreasing as a function of reach
	- There are many applications with up to 2km reach and ~ 10km loss budget, for example 6.7dB.

There is nothing magical about 10km. Datacenters are not sited based on IEEE reach objectives. I was asked by the chair to bring in a contribution discussing this in detail. To speed up the process, I got into my handy time machine, and made a contribution to the Salt Lake City meeting. Since this shifted us to an alternate time continuum, this contribution is now on the TF web site:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/cu/public/May19/cole_3cu_02c_0519.pdf

The summary observation is that end users are not going to pay a premium to support 10km worst case CD. If we want a truly low cost PMD, it should have comfortable margin all specs, including CD tolerance, and not require exotic techniques like PAM4 eye bottom compression proposed by Brian. It is very unlikely that any new data brought into the TF will show that 10km CD can be met with a lot of margin.

My proposal is that we focus on defining a new, lower reach objective for 400G LR4, for example 8km, with 6.3dB (or even better 6.5 or 6.7dB) loss budget.

I reviewed the Scope of the project with Mark Nowell, and reducing 10km is entirely within scope.

5.2.b. Scope of the project: This project is to specify additions to and appropriate modifications of IEEE Std 802.3 to add PHY specifications and Management Parameters for 100 Gb/s and 400 Gb/s Ethernet optical interfaces for reaches up to 10 km based on 100 Gb/s per wavelength optical signaling.

Thank you

Chris