Re: [802.3_B400G_ELEC] [802.3dj] 20 June electrical ad hoc - response to request for more details

Mike,

COM is applicable for the specific passed s-parameter. In my opinion, it would be the responsibility of s-parameter include skew.  How skew is handled or filtered in each component is IP.  For this reason, I don’t think we can converge on skew for each component.

For the package it’s included in the measurements. Excess skew will cause pmax/Vf and ERL to decrease.  The only work may need to be done as specification limits the excess common mode.

… Rich

Richard Mellitz, Signal Integrity (SI) Engineer

Samtec Southeast