Re: [802.3EEESG] [802.1 - 2977] Fwd: Energy Efficient Ethernet and 802.1

Bruce-

A few further comments on the topic, especially to Dan.

The underlying assumption for Ethernet Management (and it is still "largely
true") was that management was not necessary for normal network operation.

My expectation is that EEE would work under the same basic assumption. That
is, management would:
         - enable or disable the feature (or subsets thereof)
         - set the speeds that participate or don't in EEE
         - perhaps alter the shift criteria
         - perhaps enable "big speed jumps" (i.e. to other than adjacent
speeds)
         - measure what EEE has done (e.g. # of speed shifts, % of time in
each speed & off)

I would not expect EEE management to be involved in real time control of
speed shifts.

Geoff