Re: [8023-POEP] List of questions regarding cabling and connector s

Steve, there was some discussion about 2 pair cables and how you can’t assume that the extra copper is there to help dissipate the heat – for af.  There is a lot of work yet to do.

- Chad Jones

From: owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-poep@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Robbins
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 3:31 PM
To: STDS-802-3-POEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [8023-POEP] List of questions regarding cabling and connector s

Regarding the issue of cable heating, I have a concern about Jo Wallings analysis.  In his supporting document, "walling_2_0905.pdf" the last sentence in the second paragraph states "...under the assumption that all pairs in all cables are energized with the same current."

This is a valid assumption for PoE Plus, since it appears very likely that we'll use a 4-pair system.  But Jo's assumption is invalid for 802.3af since only half of the pairs are carrying current.

So I think Jo overestimated the heat dissipation in the cables (for 802.3af) by a factor of 2.