[8023-POEP] Cable ad hoc conf minutes

Conference call minutes:

About 18 people in attendance. Wael gave an update on last weeks TIA meeting: They were still gathering data with three contributions so far but expecting eventually 9 different contributions. They plan to continue collecting data for their December meeting and then present it to IEEE at our Jan. meeting. They expect to vote on it in their Feb meeting and have some conclusions for our Mar meeting.

Joe gave an update on the ISO meeting where there was a presentation on connector unmating under load and the members had expressed some concern. There should be a report given in our Nov. meeting where we will discuss the issue. There was no discussion on cabling.

There was some discussion on installer practices, could we change them. A great deal of discussion was on the ambient temperature: is it regulatory, what is the maximum for the cable, and what is the maximum in a building. There is general agreement that there needs to be some work on this issue. The other issues that were brought up were the cable bundle and it’s environment. It was recommended that we have a joint conference call with interested members in TIA. We have sent a liaison to TIA that had specific questions, but it was agreed that on some items it might be worth further discussion.

I have agreed to set up a conference call for Mon or Thursday next week with TIA members. I will send out a notice by the end of this week.

Terry