[8023-POEP] Sponsor Ballot

Colleagues:

The Task Force met in New Orleans to resolve comments to P802.3at D3.2 received during the Working Group recirculation ballot.  The pre and post meeting comment database as well as PDF reports can be found on the task force web page http://www.ieee802.org/3/at/comments/D3.3/index.html.  The Task Force voted prior to the close of the meeting to accept the comment resolution database (unapproved minutes can be found at http://www.ieee802.org/3/at/public/2009/01/index.html ) prepared in the meetings, and no changes were made to the draft.  Also, there were no new negative ballots, nor negative comments that required recirculation, in the latest round.  Draft 4.0 has been generated from D3.3 with only editorial changes, such as date and revision number updates.

With no new negatives and no technical changes to the draft, we have met the conditions required in the conditional approval for sponsor ballot which we received in November.  I am happy to report that as a result of the work in New Orleans, P802.3at D4.0 has begun sponsor ballot.  The ballot was opened on 21-Jan-2009 and will close 25-Feb-2009 23:59 Eastern Time.  Note for the last minute commenters - this is Eastern US time, not AOE!

If you are in the ballot group you should have already received the instructions to visit https://development.standards.ieee.org/my-site/ballot-activity to log in and submit your ballot.  Sponsor Ballot uses a different ballot tool than Working Group ballot and comments must be either submitted while connected to the Internet or via a spreadsheet file format.  Please be careful when using the spreadsheet, it is a clumsy and awkward interface.  Should you fill it out incorrectly you will be asked to correct your errors yourself, I do not foresee the comment editor fixing your errors.  The balance of commenter instructions are fairly straight forward and explained on the myBallot portal under the "manage myBallot Activity" link.

If you failed to join the Sponsor ballot group, but still would like to comment on the draft, it will save me significant effort if you would send your comments to me 20-Feb-09 23:59 Eastern Time.  Such comments will be identified in the comment field as coming from you, and like all comments from outside the ballot group they will be non-binding.  Use one of the comment file formats (Excel or XML) provided in the protected area of the Task Force web page http://www.ieee802.org/3/at/private/index.html with the D4.0 draft – do not use the old ballot tool.

Finally, our next meeting is scheduled to occur during the IEEE 802 Plenary meeting March 9 to 12, 2009.  The usual registration and meeting information can be found on the IEEE website starting at http://www.ieee802.org/meeting/index.html.  While there are less than two weeks between ballot close and the start of our comment resolution meeting please try to come prepared.  I expect that we will have proposed resolutions for many of the comments posted but will admit there will likely be little time prior to the meeting start to process comments and propose resolutions – check the website often as I will not be flooding the reflector with each and every update.  The schedule for our group will be all day Tuesday and Wednesday, the morning of Thursday and 802.3 Working Group sessions Monday and Thursday afternoons.

Cheers

Mike

Michael McCormack

Business Development Manager, Power over Ethernet Products
Texas Instruments, Power Interface Products
50 Phillippe Cote St.
Manchester, NH 03101 USA

Office: +1 603 222 8686

Mobile: +1 603 264 0146