Re: [RE] What's wrong using FireWire as the home backbone?

I am familiar with the Gibson Ethernet guitar. Can someone please fill me in
on the Pioneer application?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-re@IEEE.ORG] On
Behalf Of Dirceu Cavendish
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 1:09 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [RE] What's wrong using FireWire as the home backbone?

<DC>
I guess we need to discuss first what exactly needs to be accomplished
by this SG. The PAR criteria seem to be a consensus, but HOW to achieve
it is another matter. In my mind, we should try to accomplish it with
the minimum amount of work from the participants - hence, visiting every
single OSI layer vis-à-vis CE requirements, as stated below, does not
seem to me to be the way, although I do acknowledge it would be the most
comprehensive.

I believe the most straightforward way is to focus on a given CE
application (S), and clearly show problems arising from the usage of
current Ethernet .3 links. We could lock into Gibson's Ethernet guitar
application, or Pioneer audio device, whatever people feel easier to
tackle. I am sure Gibson and Pioneer have done various "Ethernet trials"
on their applications, so sharing results with the SG could be the
quickest way to address the 5 item criteria...
</DC>

Dirceu Cavendish
NEC Labs America
10080 North Wolfe Road Suite SW3-350