From: Shvodian William-r63101 [mailto:bill.shvodian@freescale.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 5:13 PM
To: IEEE 802.3 Residential Ethernet; David V James
Cc: STDS-802-3-RE@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [RE] Results of today's discussion

David and John, There is a draft PAR for 802.2ar "Congestion Management",
which is up for November approval along with 802.3as "Frame Extensions."
From 802.3ar:

4. TITLE OF DOCUMENT: Information technology -- Telecommunications and
information
exchange between systems -- Local and metropolitan area networks -- specific
requirements Part 3:
Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Detection (CSMA/CD) Access
Method and Physical
Layer Specifications Amendment: Enhancements for Congestion Management

13. SCOPE: To specify IEEE 802.3 MAC parameters and minimal augmentation of
MAC operation
and management parameters of IEEE Std 802.3 to provide rate control and
support of IEEE 802
congestion management.
Completion of this document contingent? No

14. PURPOSE: This project will enable accelerated deployment of Ethernet
into emerging limited topology applications that require improved delay,
delay variation and frame loss characteristics.

14a. Reason: Ethernet networks are being used in an increasing number of
application
spaces (clustering, backplanes, storage, data centers, etc.) that are
sensitive to frame delay, delay variation and loss. Study Group
presentations have shown that Ethernet networks can experience higher
throughput, lower delay, and lower frame loss by performing congestion
management. This will improve Ethernet in its growing number of
applications.

Bill