Re: [RE] Results of today's discussion

At 09:08 01/11/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Hmm...my search found a different affiliation. I guess
>that is a problem when tentative numbers are used before
>the PAR is actually approved.
>
>Congestion management is more closely affiliated to RE, but
>CM appears to be dealing more with dynamic load leveling,
>to reduce losses due to excess transmission rates through
>a congestion point.
>
>The CM group has not, from my observations, dealt with
>real-time delivery requirements. The CM work (or what I
>have observed of it) is dealing primarily with reduced losses,
>as opposed to the reduced latencies being addressed in RE.

RE should also be concerned with reducing (indeed, eliminating) losses, at least for the streamed-media traffic. As eliminating losses implies not overflowing buffers, which implies limited queueing time in switches (a packet must be forwarded before enough further packets have arrived to fill the buffer behind it), the mechanism for doing that will also have the effect of limiting latency anyway.

>Maybe in the future we should use numbers _and_ titles,
>when phrasing questions. That would reduce the context ambiguity.

Or not use numbers at all until they have appeared on the list at http://www.ieee802.org/3/

John Grant

Nine Tiles Networks Ltd, Cambridge, England
+44 1223 862599 and +44 1223 511455
http://www.ninetiles.com