Re: [RE] Compatibility with 802 and why the study group is not yet a task force

Title:
David:
Thank you for these comments because I know that you have taken the time to attend at least some of the meetings of the Residential Ethernet Study Group.  I say that because David can be counted on to follow the Laws of 802.3.  As for others who are recently offering comments or architectural recommendations but who have not taken the time to participate in the process, I offer much less "thanks".  Get involved in the SG or hold your comments.  If you are not a part of the solution offering contributions, then bring your criticisms to the SG mtgs or keep silent.
But all of these issues just point to a problem which is outside of most of the SG's participants control.  This CFI gained close to 90% approval at the CFI session and then a strong vote of support for moving to a SG status at the July '04 plenary.  Where it has suffered is not because of any attempt to use  devious communications.  After all 10G and EFM all took advantage of incorporated SIG Alliances like 10GE Alliance and EFM Alliance to "cover" their pre-standards organizational work.  This SG, populated mostly by contributors who are new to 802.3, has struggled because 1) the CEA members have a much more applications and consumer market focus than our usual participants in IEEE802 and 2) unlike 10GE and EFM, this group has lacked the leadership of a strong chair steering the course through the 802 minefields due to individual unforeseen family issues.  This is an issue that I expect to be resolved soon by our Working Group Chair.
So I recommend that we stop the infighting and cross-working group bickering.  I would also offer that July be the focal point for joint works between 802.3 and 802.1 because of the unfortunate location of the .1 interim meeting.  I can say categorically that there is really little CEA membership in the Berlin area while the San Francisco Bay area has a much strongly population of consumer product expertise.
Sincerely,
Richard Brand

All,

I can only echo what Arthur wrote here - I personally believe that you
need to engage with the wider 802.3 working group and using a Yahoo
mailing list rather than the official IEEE 802.3 Residential Ethernet
Study Group mailing list is, in my opinion, certainly not the best way to
go about this.

For example I was not aware that there was any attempt going on by any
members of the Study Group to understand why folk voted against the
compatibility criterion at the last plenary - I'm glad to see today some
discussion again on the reflector on this.

Best regards,
  David Law

Arthur Marris wrote:

  I also have the following observations to make
i) To see RE through as an 802.3 project you need to engage with the
wider 802.3 working group. Using a Yahoo mailing list rather than this
one does not help. If you want to know why people voted against the
compatibility criterion ask on this mailing list. The vote to set up the
study group was 41 to 7 so there is support for a task force and making
changes to the 802.3 spec for RE. Don't squander this good will.

begin:vcard
fn:Richard Brand
n:Brand;Richard
email;internet:rbrand@nortel.com