Re: [RE] Compatibility with 802 and why the study group is not yet a task force

At 01:05 13/04/2005 -0700, Richard Brand wrote:
>David:
>Thank you for these comments because I know that you have taken the time
>to attend at least some of the meetings of the Residential Ethernet
>Study Group.  I say that because David can be counted on to follow the
>Laws of 802.3.  As for others who are recently offering comments or
>architectural recommendations but who have not taken the time to
>participate in the process, I offer much less "thanks".  Get involved in
>the SG or hold your comments.  If you are not a part of the solution
>offering contributions, then bring your criticisms to the SG mtgs or
>keep silent.

[snip]

>So I recommend that we stop the infighting and cross-working group
>bickering.  I would also offer that July be the focal point for joint
>works between 802.3 and 802.1 because of the unfortunate location of the
>.1 interim meeting.  I can say categorically that there is really little
>CEA membership in the Berlin area while the San Francisco Bay area has a
>much strongly population of consumer product expertise.

Even if there is little in the Berlin area there is certainly expertise in southern England (though maybe not so much now in Harlow, Essex) and in other parts of Europe. However, it is unreasonable to expect people located in Europe to attend f2f meetings on the west coast of the USA that are held for a few hours once a week, or even teleconferences held at around midnight our time.

However, it should be possible to do much of the work by E-mail.

Also remember that I have offered to host a f2f SG meeting at the upcoming convention of the Audio Engineering Society.

John Grant

Nine Tiles Networks Ltd, Cambridge, England
+44 1223 862599 and +44 1223 511455
http://www.ninetiles.com