Re: [RE] Grand master identifier

David,
   I am not an STP expert but my understanding is that spanning tree is
used by bridges to find out which of their ports are connected to other
bridges. The protocol then determines a root bridge and shuts down
redundant links to make sure there are no network loops. As I understand
it the MAC address is for the bridge rather than the end station. I
don't think the end stations are involved in STP.

   I am not sure whether you are inviting general feedback on your
working paper but I have some concerns. It assumes that there will be
access control, bandwidth allocation and time slots for transmission.

   Is bandwidth allocation really necessary to meet RE requirements?
Over-provisioning and best-effort (with class of service) may be
adequate. You can get a lot of data through a conventional gigabit
switch with very low latencies. The RE traffic can be given a higher
priority and so not be held up by less urgent traffic.

   With access control what happens if access is denied? My assumption
is that a user connecting to a RE network would prefer best-effort
service to no service at all if there is no spare bandwidth to be
allocated. If you decide you need to support best-effort as a fallback
then you need buffers in your end stations and the reason for using time
slots goes away.

Arthur.