Re: [RE] Grand master identifier

Arthur,

Thanks for the timely response and inquisitive comments.
A few responses follow...

>> I don't think the end stations are involved in STP.

For selecting the grand master, the desire is to use the same
unique-number format as used in STP.

I think that would be the systemID concatenated with the
macAddress (when messages go between bridges). One would postfix
the portID also, when resolved within the bridge.

However, this part isn't all that readable, so a sanity check
on this perception would be helpful.

>> I am not sure whether you are inviting general feedback on your
>> working paper but I have some concerns.

Any comments from anyone are always welcome; that's why a contact
point is listed. Also, this typically decrease time-to-consensus.

>> You can get a lot of data through a conventional gigabit
>> switch with very low latencies.

An objective is to facilitate 75% time-sensitive utilization
on 100Mb/s links.

>> The RE traffic can be given a higher
>> priority and so not be held up by less urgent traffic.

If there is nothing preventing the cumulative time-sensitive
traffic from exceeding 75%, the problems remain.

Also, the annexes show how bursting and bunching still cause
problems, unless all ingress sources (and 100Mb bridges)
are well behaved.

>> With access control what happens if access is denied?

This one is more of a marketing question, so opinions
may vary. IMHO, the following.

If one is listening to high-fidelity music, the most likely
answer is to identify & stiffle you child's net-party
video games activities for the evening. Its a bit like
removing you teenager from the telephone, when you have
someone important to call...

That is better than having highFidelty==>lowFidelty.
Otherwise, apparently "defective" products are returned,
resulting in damaged product reputations and higher
distribution costs.

DVJ