Re: [RE] Is anything special required??

Arthur,
While "over-provisioned" may or may not be abstract, it is
clearly subjective.  It is entirely possible for reasonable
people to disagree about how over-provisioned a given
network is.  Contrast this with a network where bandwidth is
reserved -- the amount of available bandwidth is a
deterministic quantity that is readily available to all.

Worse yet, while everyone is dipping into the presumably
infinite pool of bandwidth, the over-provisioned state can
disappear without warning if some unanticipated traffic
shows up.  This results in service degradation to traffic
already on the network.  As Geoff has pointed out, this is
undesirable.
Les