Re: [RE] Grand master identifier

Hi Hugh:

I am not aware of any low cost standardized methods for provisioning,
admission control, policing and QoS which work together to satisfy
the requirements of RE. The consumer electronics definition of low
cost is NO INCREMENTAL COST.

My understanding of the 2 most basic RE requirements:
1. We need a low cost way to ensure that the traffic for one
application does not interfere with the timely delivery of all
traffic for another application.
2. We need a low cost way to ensure a very low max latency (250 usec
per hop) for all traffic of a specific application.

My comments on current mechanisms for this in 802.3:
A. There is no mechanism in 802.3 to ensure requirement #2 will be
met in every case, across various implementations.
         -Overprovisioning cannot provide such a guarantee as more
applications are added to the network.
         -There is no admission control system for 802.1D priorities.
Of course, higher layer protocols (Layer 3+)  could be used for
admission control, but at considerable cost and added risk to
interoperability.
B. There is no mechanism in 802.3 to ensure requirement #2 will be
met in every case, across various implementations.

John Gildred
Pioneer Electronics