Re: Key Identification RE: [LinkSec] Requirements

Tony Jeffree wrote:

> At 10:46 16/12/2002 +0200, antti.pietilainen@nokia.com wrote:
>
> >As we know, 802.3ah has an identifier, namely logical link ID (LLID)which
> >could be used as the required identifier. Of course, LLID is specific to
> >EPON. Therefore, I use this opportunity to express an opinion that, for
> >instance, point-to-point links in subscriber access netwokrs do not
> >require encryption because they consist of separate, safely installed
> >wires (that is the law) and soundly configured Ethernet switches. EPON, on
> >the other hand, needs encryption desperately.
>
> ...But interestingly, by the same argument, EPON would only need encryption
> from the OLT to the ONUs, as traffic from ONUs to OLT is point-to-point and
> could therefore be left in clear.
>
> Regards
> Tony

When I was (much) younger, with poorer judgement, I used to clip a
home-made
  telephone onto other peoples phone wires, accessible via the local
  "66-block in a steel cabinet".  I'd suggest that out in the wilds of
  urban sprawl, you need encryption all the way up to the house.

--
Marcus Leech                             Mail:   Dept 8M70, MS 012, FITZ
Advisor                                  Phone: (ESN) 393-9145  +1 613