From: Ken Alonge [mailto:kennyg698@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 9:47 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Cc: stds-802-linksec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [LinkSec] LinkSec Security Issues & 802.10

Dan-

I agree that we do not want two conflicting efforts going on at the same time.  However, my view is that the LinkSec SG is very much in favor of using SDE as the frame protection protocol.  To that end, I proposed revisions to SDE in support of perceived LinkSec requirements.  I said:

 "The modifications are needed in order to accommodate replay protection, destination MAC address authentication, and optional integrity protection of additional header fields, such as the VLAN tag."

I do not think it is prudent to delay this work.  I feel an urgency in the 802.3 EPON community to provide a security solution as quickly as possible.  So, if you agree that the consensus is to use SDE, then why not get the SDE revision work started tomorrow?

Ken

Do you Yahoo!?