Re: [LinkSec] Proposed 5 criteria for LinkSec PAR (Secure Frame Format)

Below is an initial text of the 5 criteria. Please review and suggest
improvements. For reference, I included the proposed Scope and Purpose from
Mick.

We will discuss the 5 criteria tomorrow in the call.

Dolors

-------

Broadmarket potential

[a) Broad sets of applicability

b) Multiple vendors and numerous users

c) Balanced costs (LAN versus attached stations)]

-----

  1.. Public networks for residential and business applications represent a
new and very broad application space for IEEE802 wireline technologies. This
project complements EFM, RPR and future projects by addressing the security
issues with a general view and taking the Ethernet transition from
enterprise to subscriber access networks as the first target application.
  2.. At the Call for Interest on November 2002, 32 individuals from 18
companies representing both vendors and users expressed their support for
the project.  50-70 individuals from more than 30 companies have attended
the study group sessions.
  3.. IEEE 802.1 vendors and users are able to achieve an optimal cost
balance between the network infrastructure components and the attached
stations.

-----

Compatibility

[a) Conformance with 802 Overview and Architecture

b) Conformance with 802.1D, 802.1Q, 802.1f

c) Compatible managed object definitions1.]

-----

  1.. As a new IEEE Std 802.1 standard, the proposed project will remain in
conformance with the 802 Overview and Architecture.
  2.. As a new IEEE Std 802.1 standard, the proposed project will remain in
conformance with 802.1D, 802.1Q, 802.1f.
  3.. As a new IEEE Std 802.1 standard, the proposed project will remain in
conformance with 802.1x, though extensions to these standards may be
proposed as additional work items.
  4.. As a new IEEE Std 802.1 standard, the proposed project will remain in
conformance with provider bridge specification defined by 802.1ad TG.
  5.. As a new IEEE Std 802.1 standard, the proposed project will remain in
conformance with point-to-multipoint specification defined by 802.3ah TF.
---------

Distinct Identity

[a) Substantially different from other IEEE 802 standards.

b) One unique solution per problem (not two solutions to a problem).

c) Easy for the document reader to select the relevant specification.]

------------

  1.. There is no existing link security specification for IEEE 802 wireline
technologies
  2.. IEEE802.10 is a general security mechanism applicable to all IEEE802
MAC technologies. However, it has never been used and it requires too many
changes to be used for the target applications of the proposed project.
  3.. The proposed project will leverage as much as possible from existing
802 link security mechanisms that are defined in 802.10, 802.11, 802.15,
802.16.
  4.. The proposed project will be formatted as a new IEEE Std 802.1
document.
-------
Technical Feasibility

[a) Demonstrated system feasibility.

b) Proven technology, reasonable testing.

c) Confidence in reliability.]

-----

  1.. Security mechanisms for IEEE802 wireless access networks are defined.
IEEE 802 security expertise and additional expertise from other security
forums such as IETF Security Area will be used to define the specification
for this project.
  2.. The proposed project will be based on mature security technologies and
re-use specifications developed by IEEE802 and other standards bodies to the
extent possible. It will only develop new mechanisms when strictly
necessary.
  3.. IEEE802.1 has a successful track record in defining security protocols
for IEEE 802 technologies and also in defining link protocols independent of
the access technologies. This experience will be used for the definition of
this project and will follow the rigorous review process of IEEE802.1 WG.
-----

Economic Feasibility

[a) Known cost factors, reliable data.

b) Reasonable cost for performance.

c) Consideration of installation costs.]

------

  1.. The goal of this project is to offer a security mechanism that
balances the level of data security with the cost and performance of the
access technology.
  2.. Link security mechanisms are incorporated to other link mechanisms at
a reasonable cost increment. Initial studies show that encryption at the
Gbps rate is also possible with a similar relative cost increment.
  3.. The security mechanism will add negligible cost relative to the
installation cost of the access technology.