[LinkSec] FW: [802-11Technical] <TGi> 802.1X Controlled Port

Title: Message
FYI...  Of interest to these groups I'm sure...

-----Original Message-----
From: Bernard Aboba [mailto:bernarda@windows.microsoft.com]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 2:45 PM
To: Mike Moreton; CONGDON,PAUL (HP-Roseville,ex1); stds-802-11@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802-11Technical] <TGi> 802.1X Controlled Port

There is something of a misunderstanding relating to Section 6.7 that needs to be clarified both in IEEE 802.1X/D6 as well as in IEEE 802.11i.  EAP is fundamentally a peer-to-peer protocol, and as a result, after a mutual authentication, both sides are capable of communicating.  There is no need to do bi-direction authentication, for example, in order to enable exchange of Bridge PDUs in LinkSec. Yet, because of the Section 6.7 language this misunderstanding persists.

I believe that Section 6.7 needs to be clarified so as to make clear bi-directional authentication is required and for what reasons.  As  I understand it, the reason why this is needed for IEEE 802.11i adhoc has nothing to do with EAP, or even IEEE 802.1X but rather relates to specific issues encountered in IEEE 802.11 adhoc.  For example, where different keys are needed in each direction and a single key will not suffice, or where the sequence space cannot be guaranteed to be distinct in each direction, it may be necessary to derive more than a single key.  This is the requirement that is driving use of bi-directional authentication within IEEE 802.11i adhoc.

There really is no issue with respect to "asymmetry of the controlled/uncontrolled port".  RFC 2284bis will make it clear that no such asymmetry exists within EAP or any encapsulating media such as IEEE 802.1X.  In reality, each side of the conversation decides when they wish to enable communications and therefore a single mutual authentication is sufficient in many cases, including those considered by LINKSEC.