RE: [LinkSec] FW: [802-11Technical] <TGi> 802.1X Controlled Port

Title: Message

Bernard,

In 802.11 ad-hoc, I think that currently the same key is used in both directions for unicast frames transferred between a pair of stations – while two keys are generated, one is discarded.

Different keys would be used for each direction where two stations are exchanging broadcast frames (neglecting for the purposes of explanation all the others who might hear them), however these keys are randomly generated rather than being derived from EAP.

I think that the only keys that are derived from EAP, and that are different in the two directions, are those that are used to protect the post-EAP 802.1X messages (4 way and group handshake).  I think it’s the decision to use these handshakes unmodified in two directions, rather than create a new bi-directional handshake that leads to the requirement to generate two sets of keys, not anything inherent about the architecture of 802.11 ad-hoc.

Though as ever, I’ll be more than happy to be educated by those more expert than myself in these matters!

My original issue with the TGi draft was not that what it does is incorrect (in my opinion) but that the informative, descriptive text seemed to be describing something different from what the normative text said.

Mike.

Mike Moreton

Synad Technologies Ltd.