RE: [LinkSec] FW: [802-11Technical] <TGi> 802.1X Controlled Port

>I believe the reason for running two four way handshakes is to generate
>two (different) key encryption keys (and associated key MIC keys) to be
>used for encrypting the two different group keys.
>
>It sounds to me like one of those things that would probably be done
>differently, if the whole system was to be redesigned from scratch based
>on the group's current understanding.  However, given that WPA is
>already shipping, I can't see anyone suggesting it in the current
>group's lifetime.

I'm not suggesting that it be changed.  However, I *am* suggesting that the
reasons behind this be clearly explained in the document.  While this is a
choice made by IEEE 802.11i, it is not intrinsic to EAP, or IEEE 802.1X --
and therefore other applications of IEEE 802.1X (such as LINKSEC) are free
to make different choices.

As it stands, we'll probably need to include an explanation in another
document -- so as to dispell the misconception that two bi-directional
authentications are intriniscally required by EAP or IEEE 802.1X.