[LinkSec] Re: [802.1] Fwd: Re: IESG question on Ethernet related to-be-RFC

At 02:38 PM 6/10/2003 +0100, Tony Jeffree wrote:

>Please feed any comments on this to the list.

>>From: "Paul Nikolich" <paul.nikolich@att.net>
>>To: "Erik Nordmark" <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com>,

Erik just announce that he is stepping down as AD.  Thomas would have to
pick this up...

Good that Russ caught this one.

>> > The issue is a document which the IESG has on its plate:
>> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shah-extreme-eaps-03.txt

The I-D editor, Ran Atkinson is well established in the security community.

>> > The authors have requested by the RFC editor that this be published as
>> > an INFORMATIONAL RFC and the RFC editor has asked the IESG whether
>> > this conflicts with any active work in the IETF.
>> > Since the document is about "Ethernet protection switching" it
>> > makes sense for the IESG to ask your advise.
>> >
>> > If case you are not aware of the RFC editor and informational document
>> > it is worth-while for me to mention that the RFC editor routinely
>> publishes
>> > informational and experimental RFCs that are unrelated to the
>> standardization
>> > activities in the IETF.
>> > Some of these provide documentation of proprietary solutions, as is
>> > the case in hand. An older example of such a document is RFC 1761.
>> >
>> > Note that the IESG can only provide advise to the RFC editor, which will
>> > make their independent evaluation.
>> > But in any case, the IESG is interested in the opinion of IEEE 802
>> > whether this document would conflict with ongoing standardization
>> activities.

Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Director
ICSA Labs, a division of TruSecure Corp.
	(248) 968-9809
Fax:	(248) 968-2824
rgm@trusecure.com

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit