RE: [LinkSec] EPON material

(I sent this email accidentally to Mick only. I resend it now to linksec reflector. I made some improvements, though, so now this is not the same message anymore)
Mick,
L2 bridges forget MAC addresses quicker than L3 routers forget IP addresses. Therefore, it is a wise idea for ARP cache to forget IP address/Ethernet address binding even quicker and send ARP request relatively often. Thus, broadcasts of unicast L3 packets to everybody in L2 domain can be avoided. In that sense L3 or actually L2.5 helps bridges learn L2 topology. In principle, unicast UDP over IP transmission could continue for a long time as broadcast at L2 if ARP message would not come first.
Antti