RE: [LinkSec] EPON material

Mick,
I appreciate very much that you have studied the EPON case from the links I provided.

Maybe I exaggerated a little in saying that the planned security layer is near layer 3. However, I am not ready to fully withdraw the statement. You mention that security is below the MAC Service boundary and below the functionality provided by the bridge relay entity of .1D and .1Q. However, if multihop security with peer-to-peer model is supported, that security would practically share the bridging layer in the stack. Furthermore, at least in current 802 systems the upper layer is constantly required to mess with L2 by initiating ARP requests to make L2 memorize its topology. Since bridging is so dependent on ARP requests, one could argue that the "bridging and security" box in page iii of romanow_1_0703.pdf is near L3.

The answers below refer to Mick's comments about documents 3, 4, 7, and 8 in http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/efm/public/sep02/sec/. Mick's comments can be found further below in this email.

#3 The fact that MAC address encryption has been rejected does not make it the best choice for EPON. As once earlier, I suggest to visit the URL
http://network.ucomm.wayne.edu/vendor_count/index.php?submit=count. Let's say the last mile of a VLAN connection between a head office and a branch office is realized by an EPON access link. Other access customers sharing the same EPON with the branch office are able to make the analysis shown in the URL of all networked equipment both in head office and branch office that communicate over the link. A competitor company nearby could, for example, measure how much the machines in the branch office communicate to outside world through the company's firewall router residing at the head office. Of course, spying can be carried out in many places by accepting a small risk of getting caught and punished of tapping someone others wire but in EPON one can do it safely by monitoring one's own EPON interface. I'm sure operators will hesitate to deploy EPON, at least in business areas if MAC addresses are on the clear. I would hesitate to accept it in residential area either.

#4 Slide 2. In this slide we consider identity protection. Naturally, by using traffic analysis, one can find out what kind of traffic there is, but if someone claims that obscuring addresses is a minor obstacle in breaking identity protection (a slightly different aspect from what you commented), one should accompany that with a reference to a published investigation. Otherwise those claims should be disregarded. Traffic analysis can hardly make the above mentioned stock-of-equipment analysis. Maybe traffic analysis is able to pinpoint users with a relatively high probability from a series of data. However, if LLIDs and MAC addresses are obscured well enough, probabilities will start to work against an eavesdropper. Remember that it is difficult to store 1 Gbit/s traffic for long periods of time to be able to correlate the traffic profiles.

#4 Slide 3: Document #4 mentioned also those threats where real defense methods do not exist. Brute force attacks are such threats. It does not mean, however, that we should surrender completely. If there are means to recognize brute force attacks, an OLT, for example, should warn network management or at least make a log of the suspected attack.

#7 (1) The suggested EPON subgroup within LinkSec would be useful in helping to develop a simple single-link scenario that fits into MACsec standard. That group should be allowed to discuss internally the benefits of encrypting MAC addresses. (2) I tend to agree with this comment. (3) The current wired access transport (hundreds of millions of customers worldwide) omits man-in-the-middle case almost exclusively and relies on physical protection at link layer (L2). Will we find any customers who have relied until now on physical protection who would pay for a new L2 service that protects from man-in-the-middle threat at L2? (Wireless is a different story). I agree that a higher layer method can also be simplified by omitting man-in-the-middle attack although in multi-hop case there is practically no choice but to include it.

#8 The problem of trying to cover a broad range of solutions has been discussed way too little. I agree that authentication and the negotiation of encryption method could benefit from a more general solution. However, trying to find a good, general solution may multiply the required work in addition to leaving systems defendless against attacks carried out below the intended security layer. In addition, 802.11, .15, and .16 have single-link security schemes designed already. The .11 and .16 participants with whom I have discussed are reluctant of even thinking to re-engineer their systems to comply with the requirements of LinkSec.

Antti

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/efm/public/sep02/sec/ to study documents 3, 4, 7, and 8 to see aspects of the EPON model.

best regards

Antti

Antti Pietilainen
Nokia Research Center
P.O. Box 407
00045 NOKIA GROUP
Finland
tel. +358(0)71-8036660, fax. +358(0)71-8036214