Re: [LinkSec] New Authentication paper

Any kind of authentication / encryption we provide is prone to attacks.
Should we be looking at some mechanisms to monitor / detect security
attacks too in 802.1? This would ofcourse be more of an information log,
probably the information log could then be used to automatically provide
counter-measures for attacks.

rgds,
Sai Dattathrani

                      Robert Moskowitz
                      <rgm@trusecure.com>                   To:       Sai Dattathrani/India/IBM@IBMIN,
                      Sent by:                               stds-802-1@ieee.org, stds-802-linksec@ieee.org
                      owner-stds-802-linksec@majordo        cc:
                      mo.ieee.org                           Subject:  Re: [LinkSec] New Authentication paper

                      08/13/2003 05:34 PM

At 04:36 PM 8/13/2003 +0530, Sai Dattathrani wrote:

>  I didn't understand this part about 802.1 "MAY provide keying material".
>Can you let me know what this means.

There is no requirement in 802.1X for the result of the authentication
process to result in keying material to be used in porviding
confidentiality of the data stream.

Consider 802.1X enabled switches.

Keying material generation was added by 802.11 usage to create WEP keys.

>  Also I would like to know what has
>been done by Linksec to provide for authentication. Is it the different
>models and the packet structure that are described in your paper that your
>are referring to?

LinkSec is still discussing what authentication is needed.

My paper is an attempt to frame the problem so that IMNSHO, LinkSec attacks

the 'right' problem.

Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Director
ICSA Labs, a division of TruSecure Corp.
             (248) 968-9809
Fax:         (248) 968-2824
rgm@icaslabs.com

There's no limit to what can be accomplished
if it doesn't matter who gets the credit