From: Johnston, Dj [mailto:dj.johnston@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 12:40 PM
To: mick_seaman@ieee.org
Cc: LinkSec
Subject: RE: [LinkSec] updated handoff presentation

Mick,
I think that is exactly what I'm proposing for the Handoff group. 2 entities, one on the controlled port and one on the uncontrolled port. They may actually be the same entity with an attachment to both LSAPs, that is TBD.

The reasoning is that it benefits from all the goodness that EAPoL benefits from. 802 Media independence and a clear definition of the security state of the system (port open/ port closed).

In my model, it would be a policy decision as to what information or services were available on which port. Obviously some information would need to be secured and some information, such as say service advertisments ("Come to my base station, Cheap bandwidth here!") would be better unsecured and available expediently.

The answer to the question of whether we can retrofit such a clean architecture into 802[11] is I believe 'yes' and yes its definition should be orthogonal to linksec. If it is not possible, watch the handoff group crash and burn :-).

Regards,
DJ

David Johnston
Intel Corporation