Re: Ballot Group Confidentiality

Geoff:

I don't know what prompted all this, but you are correct - the Sponsor
Balloting Group does not appear in any reflector in any form of balloting
that we currently conduct.

For the "non-electronic" ballots, the names reside solely in our database
(although a roster is sent to the Sponsor Liaision and Working Group Chair
prior to the ballot opening).

As regards the 802.3ab electronic ballot, this also was not done on a
reflector.  The e-mail was sent out by Denise using a "distribution list"
maintained only her laptop.  Although she assures me it was sent with
"distribution list suppressed" enabled, apparently the names appeared in the
e-mail anyway.  This was not the intent, and appears to be the result of a
computer glitch.

I have requested that she have our IT people look into why this happened,
and to fix it for the future.

FYI, however, regardless of our past conduct in this area, I don't know of
any requirement or policy that balloting group membership be kept
confidential.  Moreover, a list of the entire balloting group is contained
within the standard itself, therefore the information certainly isn't
confidential once the standard is published.
Michael J. Binder
Manager, Balloting Center
IEEE Standards Dept.
tel: 732-562-5540